What Shoes I Actually Buy Before Traveling to Europe
Before every trip, shoes are the one thing I overthink for good reason. I have ruined a Rome day with the wrong sole, slipped my way through Lisbon in shoes that looked cute online, and packed pairs I never touched because they just did not fit the city vibe once I got there.
Now I buy with one simple rule in mind: if I cannot walk all day, stop for lunch somewhere lovely, and still feel put together by dinner, the shoes are not coming with me. These are the kinds of pairs I actually choose before traveling to the most visited cities in Europe, plus the ones I skip.
My travel shoe strategy before I book the outfits
I do not build my suitcase around dresses anymore. I build it around shoes. Once I know the right trainer, sandal or loafer is sorted, everything else becomes easier because I know how I will actually move through the city. That matters more than people admit.
My opinion: the most expensive-looking travel outfit can still fall apart if the shoes make you walk awkwardly, feel tired by midday, or scream tourist in a city where everyone looks more relaxed than that. In Europe, the best travel shoes are usually the understated ones.
The 10 cities and what I would wear in each one
For me, the right travel shoes always depend on the city. Some places need grip. Some need polish. Some need a pair you can wear from breakfast all the way to an evening walk without ever thinking about your feet.
Paris
For Paris, I always lean into clean white trainers or simple ballet flats. Nothing bulky, nothing flashy, nothing that looks like I am trying too hard. Paris style feels effortless when the shoes look neat and quiet.
What I buy: minimal trainers with a slim profile, soft neutral flats, and one polished sandal if the weather is warm.
What I avoid: chunky trainers, loud logos, or anything too sporty.
Food note: this is the kind of shoe choice that works for long café stops, pastries in the morning, and slow walking through Le Marais without feeling overdone.
My two easiest Paris-style shoe picks: one more polished, one more budget friendly.
Minimal White Trainers
Best if you want a neat, quiet shoe that still works with blazers, jeans and café stops.
Simple Smart Flats
A softer, cheaper option if you want that understated Paris look without going too sporty.
Rome
Rome is where I learned my lesson. Cobblestones will humble you very quickly. I now buy cushioned trainers first and only then think about the rest of my outfits.
What I buy: soft sole trainers, supportive leather-look sandals, and nothing brand new right before the trip.
What I avoid: thin soles, flimsy sandals, and shoes that only look good in photos.
Food note: in Rome I want shoes that take me from pasta at lunch to evening gelato walks without even thinking about my feet.
For Rome, I would always keep one cushioned trainer and one easy sandal with a better base.
Cushioned Walking Trainers
The safer choice for long Roman days when you know cobblestones will test every bad shoe decision.
Supportive Flat Sandals
Great if you want something lighter for warmer days, but still smarter than a flimsy holiday sandal.
London
London needs flexible shoes because the weather changes the mood of the outfit. I usually go for sleek trainers or ankle boots that can handle a full day without looking heavy.
What I buy: simple trainers in black, cream or taupe, plus a clean boot if I know the forecast might be unreliable.
What I avoid: open shoes unless it is really warm and I know I will not be walking too much.
Food note: perfect for moving between markets, coffee stops, and dinner plans without needing to go back to the hotel and change.
London needs flexible shoes, so I would pair one sleek trainer with one smarter closed shoe.
Sleek Neutral Trainers
My easiest London shoe because it works for walking, layering and unpredictable weather.
Closed Smart Flats
A nicer-looking pair for dressier lunches or dinners, without fully sacrificing comfort.
Barcelona
Barcelona feels lighter, more relaxed and more coastal, so I go softer here. I want something breathable and easy, but still neat enough for a lunch by the sea.
What I buy: sandals with a secure fit, espadrille-style flats, or lightweight trainers.
What I avoid: heavy dark shoes that feel too serious for the city.
Food note: these are the kinds of shoes I want when the day includes tapas, beach walks and a late dinner that turns into a long evening.
For Barcelona, I would keep the vibe easy and coastal with one sandal and one light trainer.
Flat Sandals With Support
Ideal if you want the outfit to feel lighter, softer and still ready for a late dinner after the beach.
Lightweight White Trainers
A practical backup if you know the day will include more city walking than sea-view sitting.
Santorini
I made the mistake of thinking a prettier shoe would make the trip look better. It did not. It just made stairs harder. In Santorini I would never pack heels again.
What I buy: flat sandals with grip, elegant slip-ons, and one refined evening flat.
What I avoid: heels, slippery soles, and sandals with zero support.
Food note: sunset dinners are the dream, but you still need to walk there comfortably.
Santorini is where I would keep everything flat, elegant and safer on steps.
Grip Flat Sandals
Much smarter than packing heels and much easier on stairs, pavements and sunset walks.
Refined Evening Flats
A pretty second pair for dinners if you still want something more polished than daytime sandals.
Milan
Milan is the city where I want my shoes to look the most polished. I still keep comfort in mind, but the finish matters more here than in some other cities.
What I buy: loafers, refined trainers, and a pointed flat or clean slingback if I want a smarter look.
What I avoid: overly sporty shoes that fight with the city's sharper style.
Food note: this kind of shoe works well for stylish lunches, shopping districts, and coffee stops that feel as dressed-up as the city itself.
Milan is the place where I would lean more polished, even when keeping comfort in the picture.
Smart Flats Or Loafer Style
The easiest way to make outfits feel sharper in Milan without jumping into uncomfortable shoes.
Refined Neutral Trainers
Still smart enough for Milan if you keep the silhouette clean and the styling simple.
Lisbon
Lisbon is beautiful, but the hills and shiny pavements are not a joke. If I were buying for Lisbon, grip would be one of my top priorities.
What I buy: textured sole trainers, comfortable flats with a good base, and shoes I trust on steep streets.
What I avoid: anything slippery or too delicate.
Food note: perfect if your day includes bakery stops, seafood lunches and a lot more walking than you first planned.
Lisbon is one of those cities where I would choose grip first and everything else second.
Grip Trainers For Hills
My first choice for Lisbon because shiny pavements and steep streets can ruin flimsy shoes fast.
Comfort Flats With Better Base
A prettier backup if you still want something softer than trainers for easier walking days.
Budapest
For Budapest, I like a slightly more polished look that still feels very walkable. It is one of those cities where I want to feel dressed, but not stiff.
What I buy: smart trainers, ankle boots in cooler months, or clean flats for easier days.
What I avoid: shoes that only work for one outfit.
Food note: this city is made for long coffee stops, bakery detours and evening walks, so versatility matters.
Budapest is where I like to look a bit more dressed while still staying walkable all day.
Clean Smart Flats
A polished choice that still feels practical enough for coffee stops, river walks and longer days out.
Smart Neutral Trainers
Still put-together, but more comfortable if you expect a lot of walking and fewer outfit changes.
Amsterdam
Amsterdam is casual and practical, so I do not overcomplicate it. I want shoes I can move fast in and still feel good wearing all day.
What I buy: simple trainers, slip-ons, or understated flats that still feel fresh.
What I avoid: heels and anything too precious.
Food note: ideal for market mornings, canal walks and casual restaurant stops without a wardrobe change.
Amsterdam works best with simple shoes you can move in quickly and not overthink.
Simple Everyday Trainers
My easiest Amsterdam choice because they feel casual, practical and still fresh enough for the city.
Understated Flats
A nice second option if you want something lighter but still unfussy and easy to wear.
Bologna
Bologna is such a foodie city that I know I will walk constantly, mostly between one delicious stop and the next. This is a comfort-first city for me, but not in a dull way.
What I buy: breathable trainers, soft flats, and any shoe that still feels good after hours.
What I avoid: shoes that look pretty but do not let me keep going.
Food note: honestly, if the city is built around pasta, markets and slow lunches, the right shoes are part of the experience.
Bologna is all about comfort that still looks nice enough for long lunches and city wandering.
Breathable Walking Trainers
The smartest choice if you know the whole day will be built around walking between markets and meals.
Soft Flat Sandals
A lighter, warmer-weather option if you still want comfort but do not want to live in trainers all trip.
Get my best travel finds and stylish budget picks first
I share affordable travel ideas, chic product finds, and smart booking deals that make trips feel more elevated without spending too much. If you want the next post, deal round-up, or travel-style edit straight to your inbox, join here.
The only 3 pairs I really think most Europe trips need
After making enough bad choices, I honestly think most Europe trips only need three categories: a clean trainer, a polished flat or sandal, and one slightly smarter pair if the city calls for it. Anything beyond that usually just takes up space.
And if you already know you will be walking a lot, booking something central helps even more than people think. Less transport stress, less tiredness, and a better chance of actually enjoying the city.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.

Comments
Post a Comment