What I Actually Packed for Istanbul in May — Rain, Mosques, Street Food and 25,000 Steps Later
I thought Istanbul in May would be soft sunshine, cute cafés, ferry rides and those dreamy travel photos where your hair behaves politely in the wind.
Instead, Istanbul gave me rain. Proper rain. The kind that makes you suddenly appreciate waterproof shoes, umbrellas and every practical adult decision you almost ignored while packing “cute outfits”.
And honestly? I loved it anyway.
I packed for aesthetic Istanbul. Istanbul packed weather chaos instead.
Before leaving, I had a very specific version of the trip in my head. Long walks by the Bosphorus, soft café moments, ferry photos, maybe a dramatic scarf situation while holding Turkish tea like I was in a travel campaign.
What I forgot is that Istanbul is not just a pretty city. It is huge, layered, intense and extremely good at making you move all day. You walk, then you walk more, then you climb a hill you did not emotionally agree to, then Google Maps says “18 minutes” and somehow it becomes a whole personality test.
In early May, the weather can also surprise you. It rained far more than I expected, and not in a romantic drizzle way. It was real rain: wet pavements, damp bags, questionable shoes and a fringe with its own crisis.
This is the honest version of an Istanbul packing guide: not just what looks nice in a suitcase, but what actually helps when you are walking for hours, visiting mosques, trying street food, shopping in bazaars and dodging rain clouds with a half-eaten wrap in your hand.
Comfortable shoes are not optional in Istanbul
This city will humble your footwear choices very quickly. Istanbul has hills, old streets, wet pavements, tram stops, ferry ports and giant areas that look “close together” online but absolutely are not when your feet are doing the work.
You can still dress nicely. In fact, people in Istanbul dress very well. But stylish and practical works much better than stylish and painful.
For a rainy Istanbul capsule wardrobe, I would build everything around movement first: black trainers, grey jeans, a waterproof jacket, light layers, a crossbody bag and a scarf that works for both style and mosque visits.
My black trainers did more for my trip than half the “nice” things I nearly packed. Not glamorous, maybe, but when the streets are wet and you are still determined to see one more landmark, comfort becomes the real luxury.
Check your roaming before landing in Turkey
This sounds boring until you are standing in the rain trying to find your hotel with 2% battery and no internet. Turkey is not always included in UK roaming packages, and it is easy to assume it will be because Istanbul feels so connected to Europe.
Check before you go. If your provider does not include Turkey, buy an eSIM before travelling or as soon as you arrive.
Your phone becomes essential in Istanbul for maps, translation, ferry routes, tram routes, restaurant reviews, menus, booking confirmations and the 900 photos you will take of cats, lamps, pastries and tiny architectural details.
A tiny medical kit is a very smart idea
If you plan to enjoy Istanbul street food properly, and you absolutely should, pack basic medicine for a few days just in case.
The food is incredible, but travel, different oils, richer meals, long walking days, rain, temperature changes and eating outside more often can upset your stomach even when the food itself is fine.
- Stomach tablets
- Cold and flu medicine
- Painkillers
- Electrolytes
- Blister plasters
- Anti-inflammatory tablets
This is one of those boring adult travel tips that becomes genius the moment you need it.
Mosques are beautiful, but pack respectfully
Istanbul is predominantly Muslim, and many of the most beautiful places in the city are religious spaces. If you want to visit mosques and important landmarks comfortably, pack with respect in mind.
That means covering shoulders, covering legs and having a scarf or head covering ready. I ended up loving the modest styling because it suited the city so well: relaxed layers, scarves, longer pieces and comfortable outfits that still looked put together.
My scarf became one of the most useful things I packed. It worked for mosque visits, wind, rain, outfit styling and emergency bad-hair moments after humidity. A multifunctional queen, honestly.
Bring an empty bag because Istanbul shopping is dangerous
This is your warning. Do not arrive in Istanbul with a completely full suitcase unless you enjoy suffering emotionally at the airport on the way home.
Scarves, lamps, ceramics, Turkish delight, jewellery, leather bags, spices, textiles, tiny decorative things you absolutely did not need but suddenly became emotionally attached to — Istanbul has all of it.
The Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar are intense, beautiful and slightly chaotic in the best way. You can go in for “just a look” and somehow leave negotiating with your suitcase like it owes you money.
What I would pack again for Istanbul in May
If I went again, I would still pack outfits that feel nice, but I would make sure every item has a job. Istanbul is not the place for clothes that only look good for five minutes and then annoy you all day.
My best formula would be grey jeans, black trainers, a waterproof jacket, a crossbody bag, a scarf, a simple top and light layers. For evenings, I would keep it slightly more polished but still comfortable: dark trousers or jeans, a black top, blazer-style layer, small bag and jewellery.
The best Istanbul outfit is not the most “perfect” one. It is the one that lets you walk, eat, shop, climb, sit in cafés, run from rain and still feel like yourself.
My realistic Istanbul packing checklist for May
- Comfortable black trainers or waterproof walking shoes.
- Grey jeans or trousers that work with everything.
- Light raincoat or compact waterproof jacket.
- Umbrella.
- Power bank and charging cables.
- eSIM or roaming coverage for Turkey.
- Crossbody bag.
- Headscarf for mosques.
- Modest clothing for religious sites.
- Stomach medicine, painkillers and cold tablets.
- Blister plasters.
- Eye mask for the flight or hotel.
- Foldable shopping bag.
- Tissues and hand sanitiser.
Final thoughts: rainy, chaotic, exhausting and unforgettable
I think the best trips are sometimes the ones that do not go exactly how you imagined.
The rain made Istanbul moodier and more cinematic. The walking made me see more of the city. The practical mistakes taught me what actually matters when travelling.
Istanbul is not really a “perfect outfit” destination. It is a sensory destination. It is the sound of prayer echoing across the city, ferries crossing grey water, grilled food, coffee, cats sleeping under café chairs, wet pavements reflecting lights and that feeling that you have somehow stepped into several worlds at once.
If you pack smartly for the reality of the city instead of the fantasy version in your head, you will enjoy it so much more.
Helpful links I would check before an Istanbul trip
This post is mostly a personal travel diary, so I kept this section light and at the end so the article stays useful first. These links are optional helpers for comparing travel deals and finding small packing extras before a similar Istanbul trip.
Compare hotels and travel deals
Useful if you are planning Istanbul, a city break, or checking whether a package is cheaper than booking everything separately.
Budget travel extras
Good for small packing helpers: waterproof bag covers, cable pouches, power-bank cases, scarves, travel organisers and rainy-day accessories.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only place these links as optional helpers, not as the main reason for the article.
Comments
Post a Comment